English 9 Course OutlineWelcome to English at Frank Hurt Secondary. This course is designed to give you a framework to use language effectively. Students are expected to think critically, solve problems, communicate clearly, and be able to learn and work both independently and with others.
Units of Study
You need a divider for each of the following units:
1. Sustained Silent Reading
3. Grammar / Writing
5. Short Stories
Check our blog (frankhurtenglish.blogspot.com) for more information about each of our units.
25% Test’s and Quizzes
15% Final Exam
Expectations for Students
- Attend classes. A student who has an excused absence must find out what they have missed and collect the handouts and notes by asking other students, checking the blog, and asking Ms. J. If you have missed a quiz or a test you must be prepared to write the quiz or test upon your return.
- Be on time
- Participate fully in the class – stay focussed and engaged
- Be prepared by bringing class supplies, texts, and silent reading novel
- Arrive with a positive attitude
- Treat your class mates with respect
- Complete all assignments and hand them in on time
- All Frank Hurt Secondary rules apply
- Water only – no other drinks, food, or gum (This isn’t Ms. J’s classroom. We are guests in this room. We want to leave the room neat and tidy with no sticky messes, crumbs, or gum under the tables and chairs. Besides – other people having snacks is distracting. You don’t want to make Ms. J hungry!)
- Cell phones, tablets, and MP3 players can be used in the classroom during designated times. If they are being played with or even seen when it is not allowed you will lose the privilege for the entire semester. I love technology and I hate it – let’s learn and use some tech etiquette so that we can all benefit from technology.
Supplies Needed for this Class:
· One three - ring binder just for English 9
· Seven dividers
· Loose leaf paper
· A blue or black ink pen
· A red pen
· A pencil
· An eraser
· A highlighter
· A small ruler for underling
· Post it notes for marking important passages or quotations
- A novel for silent reading
If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, please let me know. You can e-mail Ms. J at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me in the dance studio or dance office.
For more information about J Fresh’s English Nine, please consult the blog: www.frankhurtenglish.blogspot.com(please check regularly)